Harsh environments for OEM applications demand a more reliable flash storage device than is generally found in the marketplace. This more reliable storage is Industrial Grade.
Industrial Grade Flash Storage does not have to come at a huge expense. For many embedded applications there is only a need for 128MB or less of storage which is still available in Industrial Grade. In fact, the 128MB capacity point is expected to be available for several more years.
For capacities of 2GB and less, the cost per unit for Industrial should not pose an issue to most system memory budgets. Multiple form factors such as Industrial CFast, Industrial SD cards and Industrial Compact Flash are available.
There are only a handful of Industrial flash storage suppliers in the market and even less who are truly committed to working with OEMs to ensure the right product is chosen, fully qualified and will last as long as possible without BOM change.
The largest flash suppliers such as SanDisk, Toshiba, Micron and Samsung, who focus on the mega markets of consumer and data center flash storage are not the place to look for Industrial Grade. It is only an Industrial focused supplier, like Cactus, who can deliver flash storage solutions which work flawlessly in OEM’s harsh industrial applications for many years without issue.
Here’s a brief overview of the items which differentiate Industrial Grade Flash Storage from the mainstream consumer and commercial parts in the market.
- SLC NAND: Built only with the most reliable memory technology available
- SLC NAND Supplier: Use only best quality suppliers of SLC NAND, not low-cost entrants
- Controller Technology: Optimized Industrial designed controllers
- Firmware Algorithms: Industrial wear leveling, defect management and ECC
- Rugged Physical Construction: Withstands the harshest environments
- Wide Operating Temperatures: -45C to 90C Operating temperature ranges
- Locked BOM: No changes unless notified
- Strict PCN Policy: Product Change Notification with several months advance notice
- Long Life Cycles: 5+ years from launch to migration to new BOM
- Unexpected Power Interrupt Handling: Best in Industry
- SMART Feature: Allows product life prediction through analysis of metrics
Cactus Industrial Grade Flash Storage Devices are available to meet the most demanding environments. Please contact us if you would like more information.